Saturday, November 10, 2012

First QSO on the loop antenna this winter

Yesterday evening was my timemanagement planned radio evening. It took the opportunity to get everything ready for the PA-beker contest Sunday. I did set up my FT817 / Turner +3B with the WELZ pwr/swr meter and my Palstar antennatuner which is connected trough the internal 1:4 balun to the horizontal loop on 7 Mtr above ground level. To test I tried 4 different webSDR stations, but unfortenately didn't hear my signal on one of them. No good sign? Well, I found the 80/40m bands quiet this evening. Although I heard a few USA stations on 40 with signal 3. But very few Europeans, I guess the band was open for DX but there just were few on the bands. I did try to call CQ around 3745 LSB, strange enough SV1ONL did too but couldn't hear me? Then I heard a weak signal at 3792 LSB, at first I thought it was Japan. But with more concentration and a little less QRM I could just hear JX9JKA. Not strong this time like he was in my previous contacts on other bands. There was no huge pile-up so I tried to call him with 5W, he received PE. But after trying several times he gave up due to QRM. So, there was no other option then switch over to my Icom IC-706. I called him once with 100W and got a report 53. Not strong but enough for the QSO. First QSO and new DXCC on 80m with the loop this winter. 

Gisterenavond was mijn tijd management geplande avondje voor de radio. Ik maakte van de gelegenheid gebruik om alles klaar te zetten voor de PA-beker contest aankomende Zondag. De setup isde FT817 / Turner +3B aan de WELZ swr/pwr meter en de Palstar tuner welke via de interne 1:4 balun gekoppeld is aan de horizontale loop op 7 Mtr hoogte. Om het geheel te testen heb ik mezelf geprobeerd te ontvangen op 4 verschillende webSDR's, maar helaas nergens was ik te ontvangen. Dat beloofd niet veel goeds? Maar ik vond dat de 80/40m ook er rustig eerlijk gezegd, op 40m hoorde ik we wat USA met signaal 3 ongeveer. Condities waren er dus wel, alleen geen stations blijkbaar. Eerst maar eens wat CQ geprobeerd op 3745 LSB, gek genoeg dacht SV1ONL daar ook CQ te roepen. Hij hoorde mij helaas niet. Na wat luisteren hoorde ik op 3792 LSB een zwak signaal CQ roepen. Ik dacht eerst dat het Japan was, maar na goed luisteren en een beetje minder QRM kon ik JX9JKA net waarnemen. Niet zo ster als ik gewend was van vorige QSO's p andere banden. Er was geen grote pile-up, dus ik probeerde het met 5W. Hij hoorde mijn PE, maar na een paar keer herhalen gaf hij het op vanwege QRM. Er bleef geen andere keuze over dan over te schakelen op de Icom IC-706. Ik riep hem met 1x met 100W en kreeg direkt het rapport 53, niet sterk maar genoeg voor een QSO. Eerste QSO en ook een nieuwe DXCC op 80m met de loop deze winter.

3 comments:

Hans said...

Hallo Bas,

Succes (morgen)Zondag met de PA Bekercontest.
Ik hoop dat de condities wat beter zijn.

73 de Hans,
PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Bedankt Hans, ik heb mijn best gedaan. De condities waren niet echt super. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, I too have found the bands to be on the dead side as well. I has to pull an all-nigher at work on Friday and when I got home at 4 in the morning I was still pumped from work. So I decided to turn on the radio and roll with all the distance DX. Well it did not happen it seems everyone was asleep but me!!
Good luck on the contest and due post the results on the blog.
Mike